Thursday, January 15, 2004

A Time for Reflection

I seem to be dwelling a lot on the past lately. Or my past keeps coming up to get me =) I spent a good amount of time yesterday talking to an old friend of mine, E. E and I dated when we were 16, and ended up becoming really great friends. We were roommates together when I moved back to Chicago, he stood up in my wedding with me, asked me to stand up is his (I had just had my son, was nursing and couldn't travel at that point =) ) That's the thing I miss the most about being here, my best friends are in Chi-town. There is nothing like a really old friend. They know everything there is to know about you, you don't have to explain things, they like your weirdness. It's like a pair of sneakers you've had forever, they just fit. The blog posting yesterday also got me to thinking, I've met most of the important people in my life over the internet. I met E. in one of those old text chatboards, I met J. through him. Let me tell you, if you ever need a drinking buddy and you are in Chicago, let me know. J. is the best drinking buddy :) (It also helps if you have a passion for mediocre cover bands) I met DH through ICQ. I think I love the internet just because I am so painfully shy in person. I just never say the 'right' thing, so usually end up saying nothing at all. That is of course until I get to know you and then you can't shut me up! My dad always used to tell me he should have named me Brooke, because I babble like one =P Oh and I've figured out what I like about getting older. I'm finally getting comfortable in my own skin. I'm a geek...not a techno geek, but a good old fashioned geek, I'm tubby (or fluffy or whatever term is P.C. today) and I don't mind. I'm never going to look like a model, my husband thinks I'm sexy and that's all that counts. Ok I do kind of wish that I didn't gain a majority of the weight in my tummy, cuz the perpetually pregnant look isn't the image I'm going for but I don't hate it enough to do crunches. Like I told my friend Wendy, until they make exercise bikes out of chocolate, I'm not buying. I'm smart, and I like it :) I'm going back to school, and this time I'm the idiot waving her hand and oh ohing at the teacher because I'm *proud* I know the answer. Hey for a while there I thought the pregnancy brain had evolved into permanent baby brain. If you remember the commercial that shows the woman wandering around with her infant all day, talking baby talk and later that night at the opera, she just can't stop, That's what I was turning into. That's another thing...I used to be this 'tough' chick. I didn't really cry, I was cynical, I was jaded (at least I thought I was) Then I had a baby and these wonderful things called hormones. Now two and a half years later I cry at hallmark commercials. I thought the hormones were supposed to go away!!! Oh and don't even come near me during PMS, I cry at *everything*! Songs, commercials, silly movies of the week. I try not to I just can't help it!! ARGH!!! And on that note I think I'll collect whatever shreds of sanity I still posses and move on :) One Last note (if you've managed to muddle through all this!!) I really enjoy the comments, so please feel free to leave em =)

No comments: