Sunday, May 21, 2006

adrift

Church was a disappointment today. I'm beginning to think it is impossible to find a place to worship that is hippocrite free. Not even hippocrite free... I'm not sure of how to say it. I don't want to go into painful detail and background information. We stopped going years ago because of the political B.S. that was all over. We went back because we both agreed it was important for the kids to have a religous education. A background they could use to make their own decisions from. Now I just want to leave again. I don't feel uplifted, or inspired. Oh well.

I've registered for my classes next semester. I'll be taking French, Law and Society, Interpersonal Family Relations, and Music As A World Phenomenon. No Psych classes, but after this semester I will be done with all of my required electives! Well except for language. I have at least 3 more semesters of that. Yipee.

The last time I met with my advisor he suggested I bulk up on stats and biology. (Possibly because he is a biologic research psychologist who minored in bio himself...) He said that in a field where GPA and GRE are equal, stats and science wins. I hate math. I nearly set my calculator on fire in celebration when I finished my required elective. I thought I could honestly say I am done with math for life. Looks like that plan is shot to hell :)

I really, really don't understand the uproar over the Davinci Code. It's a book. A work of fiction. Pretend, imaginary, not real. I don't know how to put it more plainly. It is a good story. I read Harry Potter, and I'm not walking around debating whether there is or isn't a school of magic hidden in the English countryside. I read a book called the Barbed Coil, but I'm not waiting around for a magic ring to transport me to an alternate universe. Novels are meant for entertainment. I'd like to see what the people who are taking these books literally, word for word, make of abstract art. But I guess I shouldn't be so flippant. I've had people tell me fantasy books are evil. Humph.

No comments: